Monday 26 November 2012

SWEET SUCCESS!

The funny thing about going sugar-free is that once I stopped eating sugar, I didn't crave it as much. When I was eating sugar, the more I ate it, the more I wanted it. Now, however, I don't have those sugary cravings. 

Nevertheless, this past weekend I did some experimenting with sugar-free baking. I decided to try out Chocolate-Covered Katie's, Chocolate Chip Pie, as it's had rave reviews on her website. Initially I was a bit hesitant to make it, as the recipe called for WHITE BEANS (?!) , but I have to admit - it actually is better than it sounds. I think, however, if I were to make it again, I would use less beans and more oats. Amazingly enough, it actually is sweet and there isn't any sugar in the pie and only about two tablespoons of stevia in the whole thing. 



The other venture was more successful; my boyfriend and I tried experimenting with homemade sugar-free ice cream and it was pretty amazing. We ended up making cinnamon-infused date ice cream with a hint of rum. Of course, it was completely sugar and sweetener free.


Cinnamon Date Ice Cream

SUGAR AND SWEETENER FREE

1 cup of whole milk
1 cup of evaporated milk
6 egg yolks
1.5 cups of finely chopped dates
1 tablespoon of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of dark rum

serves 4

Heat the milk, cinnamon and evaporated milk in a medium sauce pan until hot but not boiling, stirring often.  

Place egg yolks in a mixer and attach wire mixer. Whip for about 30 seconds. Gradually add eggs to the hot milk, do not boil. Remove from heat, let cool and then chill for about 8 hours in the fridge.

When you're ready to make the actual ice cream, blitz the dates in a food processor. Add the chilled milk and eggs to your ice cream maker (I use a Kitchenaid Ice Cream attachment). Once it's started churning, add the chopped dates and splash of rum. Churn for about 15 minutes. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment